My students... I cannot tell you how adorable they are. The accent is hilarious! I am sure that you would all love them if you were here. I have now been with them for three days, and it is hard to believe that today will be a week in Colombia.
One of my students asked me how long I would be here. I told her that I would be in Colombia until April! Her mouth dropped open so wide you could have put 10 marshmallows in it (which is rather large for a 6yr old). Not only that, she bent her entire body forward at the waste to emphasize how long this was to her! It was so funny..I know it doesn’t translate well on paper, so just imagine me doing it, as if I am telling the story.
There are three boys named Juan in my class, as well as a Juana and Juanita. In case you didn’t know, it is MUCH harder to remember names of people and things that are not English. All I have to say is praise the Lord for nametags! The students are wonderful. Every day they play Sharks and Minnows at recess, it is the funniest thing. Every day I hear “Miralo! Miralo!” (look at me/this.. not sure I spelled that right) about a thousand times.
This morning I was invited over to my first Colombian home! I will be tutoring one of the son’s in reading. At first I was a bit nervous, because none of us wants to make a fool of ourselves! It was AMAZING. They had my cooperating teacher and me over for breakfast with the family. They don’t speak English well and I don’t speak Spanish well. However, this works to the advantage of both of us, because we will be forced to practice in both. Plus, they live within walking distance.
Major accomplishment of the week:
Grocery shopping on my own! It is only a couple of blocks, but still! There are so many different kinds of fruit here, and I don’t know the half of them. Just imagine a pale American stumbling through the aisles, pretending to understand the labels. That was me. The best thing though…the fresh bread for PENNIES! Oh my goodness, you would love it.
Culture Tidbit:
The computer keyboards a much different here….I spent a good five minute trying to figure out the @ symbol…no joke, it’s immobilizing.
Right now I am sitting outside. It’s probably in the 70’s with a light breeze. You don’t need screens here because there are not any bugs! Additionally, the Andes are right outside my window.
Coming soon: Church in Spanish…say what?
70 degrees? Cute kids? No bugs, you say? I'm booking my flight right now!!!
ReplyDeleteI Like the no bugs!! My only question is do they get Alabama football down there. Miss you!!
ReplyDeleteI FOUND you this afternoon! First time I've really been on computer for a few days. I'm praying for you every day; I'm just loving hearing from you and about your days... I've been overseas just enough to know SOME of what you are talking about in the different situations. I'm thanking the Lord for your sense of humor, too.
ReplyDeleteI had to laugh when you talked about the computer keyboards because in Japan they have a different keyboard and the @ sign is where the apostrophe key usually is!
ReplyDeleteYour blogs are great; however the essence of you that comes through makes me feel lashy. From - Not Dad!! :)
ReplyDeleteI'm speachless :o)
ReplyDeleteNo Chapstick!!! Unbelievable.