Thursday, February 10, 2011

Haps and Mishaps...

Friends and Family,
Again, my apologies for the long wait. The good news is…It’s for a reason. This was my first week having full control of the classroom for student teaching. Being officially in charge of twenty-three, six and seven year olds – it turns out- IS…. pretty hilarious, intimidating, scary, fun, challenging, and crazy. Seriously.  I’m loving it.
The Account of School Haps and Mishaps:
1.       Last week –
There was a bee in the classroom. All sorts of chaos ensued. However, the bee left rather quickly. Problem quickly averted and forgotten…It was only a honey bee. Mind you it was the one and only that I have seen in Colombia. Of course, it would come into a 1st grade classroom.
Yesterday –
 A significantly larger DRAGON FLY flew into the classroom. Let’s just say that my eardrums are still recovering. However, it is my own fault because I did not have them practice how we act when a bug comes in. Right after the LARGE dragon fly flew out of the classroom, I told them the story of when a bee landed right on my shirt during lunch in elementary. I was so afraid of talking in front of the lunch lady that I sat as still as a statue. The bee left. They seemed to gain comfort from that.
 Immediately after I finished my story, the LARGE dragon fly comes back into the room. Simultaneously, I say loudly, “PRACTICE!” They all sat like statues. I was shocked out of my mind, and enormously proud.
Today –
 We read a story about a fly on a nose….and we practiced our statue pose yet again.
2.       The regular music teacher is not here yet. I have never met her. So, for elementary music we get special groups to come in.
Last Friday –
        The special group was some Native Colombian Indians. From what I could tell they did not speak Spanish very well, and I couldn’t understand a thing. Now, this is a bit terrifying when you are the leader of 23. I smile and nod A LOT. Anyways, they did some music for us…and then came the tribal dances. Well, they wanted a teacher to come and dance with them. At this point, I really have no idea what anyone is saying…but all of the sudden every single 1st grader turns to me and screaming my name. Again, I have no idea what is going on. I look hopelessly at my Teacher Aid and she points to the stage. Now, every teacher knows that there are things that you give up for your students. For me, dignity is now one of them. . . . I even had to wear a headdress.

Today –
        We had a group of rappers come. Colombian rappers. Seriously.  I spent most of the time shuttling students in out due to ear aches it was so loud. But, the boys are all on cloud nine. The look on their faces when it started was priceless. Deer in the headlights mixed with scrunched eyebrows. . . The best part was they all tried to dance. . . Key word = TRIED. It was hilarious.
All in all, teaching has been an enormous learning experience. Plus, I love it.
Church in Cazuca….the South.
                This church was quite different from the last two that I have been two. South Bogota generally means poorer, as far as I know. I went with a friend from El Camino. This was probably one of the biggest authentically cultural experiences that I have had so far.
                We took the bus at eight in the morning. We couldn’t sit for a while, but it wasn’t that crowded. It takes about an hour, hour and a half to get there. The Transmilenio (the bus system) is a bit intimidating to me……one, because I don’t know Spanish and two, because it is a totally new experience.   When we arrived (after a couple of bus transfers), I immediately noticed that it was completely different.
This is a google image I found that looks like the town..This is a photo of Southern Bogota. However, I think we were farther up the mountain than this photo shows. 
           We were farther up the mountain, which generally means a rougher area. The farther South we got, the less we spoke in English (which really means no speaking). The people were WONDERFUL. I felt welcome, even being one of two gringos there. The speaker was a wonderful man who is a Colombian missionary to China.
              
           After church, there was a lunch were they serve you enough to last for a lifetime. They make up your plates here; it’s not a buffet line. After that, I thought I was going to be reading while my friend was in a meeting, because there was no way that I could get myself back alone. Well, I ended up going home with some of the elders wives for a hilarious game of Monopoly.
                Now, one of the major differences in this church is that only one Colombian speaks functional English...as far as I know. Needless to say, none of the women did. It was wonderful! We played for about three hours…I lost. My dictionary is always with me now. I wish I could explain better how fun it was, even with the language barrier. We drank coffee and ate bread, and drank coffee...and ate bread..
         One thing you could pray for specifically is my language acquisition. It’s hard and humbling. Also, my usefulness in the church…The two really go hand in hand.
                On the way home, it was rather packed, but I would rather take the bus that drive in a car any day. … at least in Colombia.

I know this is only a snippet, and I would love to tell you all more..So, ask away! I will do my best to answer.
Cultural tidbits:
-I have never seen someone pet a dog here.
-To get the @ symbol, you hold alt..then push 6…then 4. I know I already said the keyboard is weird, but I want you to understand the depth.
-Everyone thinks you are going to freeze to death if you don’t have multiple layers on at all times. You might be thinking this doesn’t count. You are wrong. I have people tell me all the time that I am not wearing enough clothes….and it’s 65 degrees out. I don't need a parka thank you. It’s cultural.
-There are about 45,000 taxis in Bogota…I think that’s right.
 -I only recognize about 2 of the fruits in the grocery story...talk about intimidating. They have this one fruit that looks like an orange on the outside and fish eggs on the inside. To eat it, you kinda slurp it out. Horrible consistency but good flavor...but really horrible consistency.

If you made it this far, much thanks. God Bless.


10 comments:

  1. granadilla is the fruit... have you eaten it?
    have you had really embarrassing language stories, besides the indian thing?
    wish i was there with you it's hilarious.
    get one of the missionarries (or ms. v/z) to take you down to a town called Villa de Leyva and stay at the assemblies campsite: Villa Peniel.
    hope you have a blast
    christina

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thoroughly enjoyed hearing about your life!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Karen,
    Great work on this blog. I really like it.
    I would like to correct you though. There are closer to half a million taxis! I mean it! (ok maybe not but I would not be surprised if there were more that 200,000) :)
    Glad you hare enjoying yourself,
    Samuel

    ReplyDelete
  4. K. I laughed OUT LOUD when you talked about dancing. I can only imagine. You are such a great sport! I bet your students love you! Love and Miss you Girl! We should probably just spend the summer together catching up :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Karen,

    We miss you MORE than salt misses pepper. Given a family that LOVES to embarass you and two brothers who show no mercy I did not realize that you still had dignity to lose. This is from THE LASHY ONE.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Way to be a good teacher and be embarrassed on stage!!! :) Miss you! Praying for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Christina - Yes I have eaten it...It's tasty, but wierd.
    Samuel - I am glad you like the blog. Mrs. V told me about the taxis I think..It's true they are EVERYWHERE, at least in the north.
    Suz - I agree about the summer. You would have rolled on the floor silently laughing at the tribal dance.
    Lashy One - I miss you too...like the mountain misses the valley. Cheesy. And yes, I did have a drop of dignity left. . . But, alas, it is gone.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Ms. H! I can feel the love! Miss you too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Prayed for you all afternoon - was going to watch our signature movie and cry - figured prayer although not as DRAMATIC would be much more productive. Miss you more than peanut butter misses jelly. The Lashy One

    ReplyDelete
  10. just got home from Bible Study - the Lashy One

    ReplyDelete