Dearest friends and Family!
These last couple of weeks have been crazy per usual.
Last Friday night we had six friends over for dinner. The funny thing is, we didn’t plan it until the morning of! Does that sound like me? We told everyone to be there by 6, but to honor the Colombian culture, did not eat until 7.
On Sunday I want back to the church in Cazuca! This was the second time, and just a lovely (and long) as the last. We went with the intention of leaving right after church. FALSE. Right after mentioning that we were going to get home early, we were invited to a birthday party. Who can pass up a birthday party right? Apparently not me.
We then took a bus into Soacha (sp?) for the party. Of course, being an American, I thought we would play a game, have some lunch, sing a song, and then leave. Two hours right? Needless to say, I arrived home around 7 or 7.30. Totally worth it. Plus, I got to have some quality time with Colombians my own age, which really is invaluable. Why? Because I can now walk up to them at church and say hi without it being totally awkward. Plus, they will help me learn spanish. Ah! It really was such a blessing.
Teaching has been great, even with all the minor melt downs my students have every day. We have fun…or at least I do.
Achievement of the day:
Almost all of my 23 1st graders made a three slide powerpoint with: a word, picture, and animation on each page. Beat that…I mean really, there is no way someone could beat that. They are 7! I know college students who still don’t know how to make a proper powerpoint!
Cultural Tidbits:
1. I have now seen 2 Colombians use some form of chap stick. I know you were all waiting for this update. However, one of them was one of my students, and I think he only had it because I did (and of course he thought it was cool).
2. When you leave the North end of Bogota, people start to look more normal and less like they walked out of fashion magazine.
3. Honking doesn’t mean you’re angry…It just everyone else know where you are.
4. They use the phrase, “A week without meat…” as we would use a week without food. That’s how important chicken and beef is here.
Minor Adjustments: I will be moving in with a Colombian family tonight! The place I am in right now is a bit cramped. Praise the Lord that this opportunity opened up for me to stay in the same apartment building! That means I do not have to learn a new bus route, neighborhood or anything. Plus, I will have my own room! Talk about spoiled. The Lord really has provided above and beyond what I could have imagined.
Things I took for granted -
1. a dryer
2. the comforts of my own language
Next blog will be 24 chapstick users as the entire class tries to emulate you. Totally agree regarding the dryer (and washer as well) - glad you are making friends. Love you more than feet love being warm - The Lashy One
ReplyDeleteKaren, I am so loving hearing from you. I pray for you every day, and am picturing you during your days. You're a good describer in writing... I even expect the hand gestures! May the Lord help you to keep up the good work.
ReplyDeleteSue
whats a powerpoint?
ReplyDeleteTL1 - I wouldn't be suprised.
ReplyDeleteSue - Thank you so much. I love to know that I have my church family supporting me. It means more that I can put into words.
Joel - Case in point.
praying for you everyday. I am glad to hear that you are moving in with a Colombian family. You'll experience so much more of the culture =]...Miss ya Karen!
ReplyDelete