Sunday, January 9, 2011

El Principio -The Beginning

Thanks for all of you out there reading! I am excited to share with everyone the challenges and adventures of my trip to Bogota, Colombia. I would like to start with an explanation of the name. Let’s just say that it evolved with the help of some devoted friends (Abby and Jo). Upon telling them my original name (The Carter Account) they immediately told me that is was rather lame. I knew this, but did not know how to solve the problem. Well, we brainstormed. I will not tell you the duration of time wasted….I mean spent. The end result was Kicking the Proverbial Popsicle Stand, because by going to Bogota I am doing just that. If you are not satisfied with the name, let me tell you….It could be worse. . .Much worse.
The building bock and blunder titles we decided against:
- The Air is Thinning Out…
-Colombia, Here We Come!
-Pondering under the Popsicle Stand
-I’m Feeling Light Headed.
-The Daily Grind
-The Bard of Bogota
-Spinning a Yarn
-The Pondering an Musings
-Musings of a Muse

Now, about the trip…Right now I am sitting at a deserted cafĂ© in JFK. This will mark the first time I have ever been in New York. It’s uneventful. I might not even count this as a time, because I am sure I would be scoffed at if I did.

Interesting and perhaps funny events of the day:
1.      Forgetting my receipt to get my boarding pass. The only thing I actually need to leave. Worry not; we scanned the passport and credit card. It all worked out. This of course was after getting in the wrong line, or should I say a crowd of people posing as a line. Shame on them.
2.      APPARENTLY, my cream cheese and chive crackers seem like a threat to national security. I go through security (without having to get patted down or doing the body scan, Elliot). They tell me I am going to have to step aside to the table so they may rifle through my bag. I have many different electronics, clothes, books, ect; but the item they have to wipe down with a litmus test is my crackers. To top it off, they even run it through the scanner AGAIN. Let me repeat, this is a pack of those cheese crackers we got in our lunches as children. I was laughing, on the inside…because I did not want to bet arrested.
3.      We all live in fear of sitting next to the wrong person the plane right? You know, the baby that cries, the dog that yips, the MAN that SNORES. I was original next to a young mother with her very happy baby. To give them more room (the effect of coach) I moved to some of the many open rows. I sat in the first seat after first class. Little did I know that the semi-bald man who died his, obviously white at the roots, hair brownish/red(I am not being mean, this was the only visual I got) was going to be a snorer. I cannot sleep on planes, so I don’t actually mind the noise. However, this man snored through entire presentation of the safety instructions. I am not one to really pay attention either, but really? Worry not; he wasn’t in an emergency exit seat.

On a more serious note, doing this is probably one of the scariest things I have ever done. I have never even been to Canada, let alone Colombia. On multiple occasions throughout the last few days I have thought to myself, “What in the world did I get myself into?” However, the Lord has been preparing me for this all my life. It’s going to be good.

Didn’t have time to post it until now, but it was written at about noon yesterday.

Coming up: Who knew getting my luggage would be dog eat dog…no joke.

6 comments:

  1. Okay, it's official, you are going to be a great blogger. I almost laughed out loud when you got to "the MAN that SNORES" because in my head I could hear you shouting that part.

    I like. It's funny.

    MORE. (Greedy, ain't I?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am tuning in with anticipation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do like the name you ended up with... Although "The Bard of Bogota" would have been pretty rad as well. I look forward to reading more :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can clearly imagine you telling me every word of this story in person! I loved it! Keep them coming :-P
    PS- I guess my blog name is pretty lame, right? You have any alternatives?... :-P

    ReplyDelete
  5. Karen...I love it! I love the adventures already. I hope you're well and that the initial transition of settling in goes well. I got some hearty chuckles out of your blogging. Praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh! Well done! First hurdle successfully crossed. I'm ready for installment two! :-D

    ReplyDelete