Thursday, February 24, 2011

Movin' on Out...

Today I officially moved into another apartment with a Colombian family! This means…I get my own room. I am going to get really spoiled. You have no idea how nice it is to have a room to yourself…until you don’t. It is unbelievable how much I can spread my stuff out in 7 weeks. I still have not located my tennis shoes. Who knows? Maybe the borrowers have made a trip to Colombia. Wouldn’t surprise me.
            Tomorrow is Dia del Idioma! For those of you who don’t know (which is probably almost everyone), this is a humongous deal! From the descriptions that I have gotten, it is a day of celebrating the Colombian culture. Anyways, many of the rooms in the school have been transformed into national parks. Models off of the real thing, of course. However, I have never seen anything so amazing! I really might get lost in the wilderness. It almost reminds me of winterfest (all you Emmaus folk). Colombians know how to decorate….It’s uncanny. There is no holding back.

Cultural Tidbits (or just things that are different from America):
1.      Milk is in a bag, and they don’t refrigerate it until it’s needed. It is so odd to get milk out of the cupboard.
2.      I can’t remember if I have said this one yet. KETCHUP is totally different here. . and this is not in a good way. I actually ate some of my fries without ketchup. For those of you who know me, this is unheard of.
3.      Ranch is hardly ever seen. I actually have NEVER seen or tasted it here. . .Now you know how to pray for me..lol.


5 comments:

  1. Woah - two days in a row! Sweetness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!!! 2 days in a row. Whoever has kidnaped my daugther and started posting on her blog better give her back. I will hunt you down!!!

    Cool Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. No ketchup - that is just not OK - I thought that ketchup was one of the major food groups. I am NOT suprised at your ability to spread out in a short period of time. I too send my greetings to the kidnapper and my plea "let her go - PLEASE" - Love you more than first grade boys love scaring girls (still trying unsuccessfully to best your last - it was legendary) - The Lashy One

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow... came expecting a Sunday post and see I missed by several days! Still great to hear, though.
    Your own room... now to keep your stuff IN your own room... that is always a challenge for me when I go to someone else's home. :>)
    We're off to Naomi's Wednesday. Will write you from there.
    FYI, little Carter is losing his voice today! He is just LOST! He can't understand what is going on, and I'm wondering what is going to happen when he can't talk! He is such a talker... Called yesterday and left a message, except he didn't understand I WASN'T in the phone so when his mom said to tell me to call him back he said, "Grandma?" and then turned to his mom and said, "She won't talk to me." not knowing it was an answer machine he was talking to. So funny to listen to.
    Love you; praying!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing Karen. I feel like the Skype we did a few weeks ago makes me feel closer to you there, and I understand what you are writing about in this post :-)

    ReplyDelete