Tuesday, March 8, 2011

It’s crazy. It’s wonderful. It’s a learning experience.

Alas, I have not disappeared!
I shall make you a timeline or perhaps a chronicle….Going backwards.
Yesterday – I got my visa renewed. It turns out that there are in fact people of other cultures living in Colombia. Although people have been telling me this, it was not confirmed until yesterday. Of course, the only people who need their visas renewed are non-Colombian! I am going to give you a speedy version of the process. 1- Go to the photo place to get photos taken. 2-Go to the visa place to find out the exact amount of money that it costs, as well as the account number. …. 3 – Get lost. 4 – Go to the bank to deposit the exact amount of money into the account of the government. I’m assuming. 5- Go back the visa place . . . 6 –Stand in line. 7 – Turn everything in. 8 – Get fingerprinted….Yes, I do have fingerprints in Colombia (Suz, Victor, and Alyssa). 9 – Wait. . . .  10 – Someone calls out your name (Karen Elizabeth). This is extremely hard to understand in Spanish when you have heard it in English your whole life. They hand back your passport and say “Listo!” (Ready). Of course I stood there just staring until she shooed me away.
                This all took place from 9:30 to 2:45. Talk about a long day. Great thing is, I got an extended visa without having to haggle or pay extra. The Lord is faithful in the small things.
Last Friday – This was the last day in First Grade. They had a little party for me, and they gave me a book with a card from each student with their picture. BEST PRESENT EVER! I miss them already. Although, every time they see in the school they come running to give me a hug screaming, “Miss Carter!!! Miss Carter!!!” I told my mom that somehow, I think my departure from middle school will slightly different.
Last Monday and Tuesday – Sick....Need I say more?
Dia del Idioma was a long time ago……..HOWEVER…….We must travel back! It was AMAZING. (I am using the Caps appropriately here people!) Close your eyes and imagine fabricated national parks with a plethora of wild animals running around, right in the school building! There was face painting and forest sounds and parents and cameras and rain (real) and oceans, ect. In all my years (21), I have never seen a celebration quite so spectacular. Honestly, the Colombians know how to do something up.
I am in middle school officially now. It’s crazy. It’s wonderful. It’s a learning experience.
Cultural Tidbit:
1. Everyone in Colombia knows their blood type. When they ask you yours, and you tell them you don't know it, they give you a look like you are a complete idiot.
2. Water here is often sold with gas in it (con gas).




2 comments:

  1. I can't believe you don't know your blood type. Remember when you couldn't get in to the website to look at your Praxis, and we were freaking out ;-P With Love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love and miss you terribly. Love you more than a baby loves his binky (lame, I know). The Lashy One

    ReplyDelete